Sunday, August 14, 2011

Zombie sex

The ad above was ripped out of this month's Reader's Digest.  It's for "MidNight" brand sleep aids.  But you only get that later as part of just some super-awesome copywriting!

See...the ad compels you first because you think it's a sex aid ad.  And everyone reads sex aid ads.  Right?

I mean - there you are, immersed in the story about how a 12 year old 3-legged golden retriever saved the lives of a small Arkansas town, flip the page and go, "Great!  This reminds me - I need some more sex aids and these fine people have a coupon!" only to get half way down the ad and realize it's really for SLEEP aids!

But see, the switch doesn't make you feel deceived, because it's so darned clever!

See - SHE "needs it" in the middle of the night.  But HE "needs it" now!  But see, here's the genius - it's NOT sex they need but...yeah!  You're catching on...they need SLEEP!

Fooled ya!  Ha ha - LMAO!  See?!

I remember back in Advertising School Studies (ASS) we learned right away - two things that never fail to increase the effectiveness of your client's brand, sales and bottom-line.   #1, sex.  #2, uh...can't remember.  I think it starts with a "P" though.

Shhh, though, 'k?  That course was a 500 level and we had to promise not to let the secret out or else anyone would be able to make ads.  See?!  Kind of like how the brain surgeon doesn't tell you where he cuts?  Or the police don't tell you how decide who gets a ticket and who gets a warning?

Anyway, I'm glad Reader's Digest held to their standards and made sure the couple was married.  See the wedding rings?  Whew!  For a second there, I was thinkin', "What if the kids see this?!" but thank gawd, they're married. Good call, Creative Director!  (note to self:  if you're going to sell sex, use safe sex).

Great ad.  I'm gonna fold this sucker up and tuck it in my wallet.  You know, for when it's 3am and I need a good idea.

PS - Another genius point - did you notice how the girl and client (oops, there I go with the ad-talk.  I mean, man) are looking at us, the reader?  As if we just entered their world?  And they engage us eye-to-eye in meaningful dialog?  

I think he really loves her.  I mean - again, notice the rings.

These guys don't miss a beat!