Monday, August 02, 2010

Because you SHOULD, that's why.

The billboard above is for a western Iowa hospital.

It's also an indicator that hospital marketing has entered a new phase of hubris, authority and...strangeness.

Maybe it's just me, but the masked 'caregiver' with the gothic eyeliner doesn't say "Mercy" at all.  More like, "Dis vill make you TALK you enemy of ze STATE!"  Or maybe remove my spleen, sew me up and leave me half-conscious in a Baja bar with a note pinned to my chest, "Warning. He has no spleen any more."

Regardless, the S-ad part of this billboard is the copy.  "Is Mercy Your Hospital?  It Should Be."

No discussion.  No features.  No benefits.  No nuthin'.  Just, "It Should Be."

Geez.  That had to be a short brainstorming session, eh?

Yeah, as a medium, Billboards favor brevity.   So, the Mercy Folk should have just stated, "Come here, not there."

Or maybe more appropriate, "Sick?  Here."