Monday, August 31, 2009

Cuz! That's why!

The scan above is of the BACKSIDE of a package of Gillette Mach 3 blades. There. Now you have a glimpse into my toiletries.

Flipping the pack over, I read the back copy and was rather surprised to find the Gillette company eager to jar my Mach 3 loyalties with a front-and-center ad for their 5 blade Fusion™.

It's shameless, obviously pointed at the more expensive, profitable upsell - nothing wrong with that. It's the American way.

However, do you notice the question, "Why is Fusion better than MACH3?"

Why, it should be obvious - according to Gillette, it's "8 years of shaving innovation."

Hmmm. That's one step above, "Cuz." Definitely better than, "Uh." About on par with, "It's got a cool rubber thingy on the end!"

Looking at the line another way, say I create a dynamic new product - like, a Toast Sharpener - and you ask me, "Why do I need this?" And I say, "8 years of toasting innovation!"

Gillette's slogan is "The Best a Man Can Get." Is bush-league salesmanship the best Gillette can get?!

Kids these days - they get their first whiskers and think they're copywriters.